Philosophy of Global and Local Engagement
A. The Biblical Basis for Missions
- Missions begins with the Triune God -- Father, Son, and Holy Spirit -- who in the divine plan create a chosen people for His own possession, redeemed by the one and only Savior Jesus Christ, and enter into new life by the agency and power of the Holy Spirit. (Luke 22:29; John 3:5ff; 6:37-40, 1 Peter 2:10; Hebrews 9:14; Rev. 5:9-10, etc.).
- Missions is the global movement of the redemptive promises of God to reverse the curse of the Fall and bless the nations by freeing them from idolatry so by faith alone they may worship the one, true, and living God (Genesis 3:15; 12:3; Galatians 3:7-9; 1 Thess. 1:9-10, etc. )
- Missions is the proclamation of the Lordship of Jesus Christ as the world's only Messiah who died for our sins, rose from the dead in victory, and sits at the right hand of God the Father in mighty and majesty, and who is coming again to consummate His kingdom. (John 14:6; 1 Cor. 15:1-8, 20-28; Philippians 3:20-21; Revelation 19)
- Missions is mandated to the Church by our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ as the advance of the gospel of His kingdom into all the world. As the Father sent Jesus, so Jesus sends His disciples to make disciples of all the nations (Matthew 28:18- 20; John 20:21; Acts 1:8,; Romans 15:10-12, etc.)
- Missions will cease when Christ consummates His kingdom in the new heavens and new earth, but the goal of proper worship will move forward into eternity as God's people from every tribe, tongue, people and nation praise Him forever. (Rev. 7:9-10; 15:3-4; 21:24).
Our Global Strategy
- We prioritize evangelism and church planting among Unreached Peoples.
- We invest in Indigenous/National Efforts.
- We support Leadership Training in Developing Nations.
- We cultivate relationships through Short-term mission endeavors.
- We commit to regular prayer for our mission partners and for the extension of the gospel in the world.
- Our 8-year goal is for our Missions budget to be a sum equal to 20% of our general budget.
Our Local Strategy
- In continuity with our global strategy, we give priority to local engagement efforts in Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania that share the gospel in word and deed.
- We will seek ways to involve all of Hope EPC in God's mission to the world.