Hope Presbyterian Church belongs to the Evangelical Presbyterian Church (EPC) denomination. The EPC over the years has determined that as issues present themselves before the church and the world around us, that a response is necessary. The EPC does this by periodically calling for Position Papers and Pastoral Letters to be written.
A Position Paper identifies the positions of the EPC to the world. Each is intended to set forth the "mind" of the General Assembly on some particular issue or subject. It is not intended to be a thorough theological statement, nor a complete exegetical biblical study. The purpose of such a Position Paper is to enable the EPC to make a statement to itself, the Christian community, and the world in general on a subject of recurring interest, or one on which there is current compelling interest.
A Pastoral Letter is intended to shine the light of God's Word broadly on an area of general concern to the Church. The primary purpose of a Pastoral Letter is to guide churches within the EPC, rather than to identify our positions to the world. As such it is not as definitive as a Position Paper, but still provides helpful guidance.
In this class, we will be looking at these Position Papers and Pastoral Letters to help us as a congregation of the EPC respond to the issues these documents cover. Below is a schedule of the items to be covered. Please click on the title of the class to view/download that particular position paper/pastoral letter. We hope to see you this Fall!
- Sept. 11 Value and Respect for Human Life (Chrishon Ducker - lead teacher)
- Sept. 18 The Sanctity of Marriage (Conway Richardson)
- Sept. 25 Divorce and Remarriage (Conway Richardson)
- Oct. 2 Human Sexuality [Position Paper] (Chrishon Ducker)
- Human Sexuality [Pastoral Letter, longer document]
- Oct. 9 Human Sexuality (Chrishon Ducker)
- Oct. 16 The Holy Spirit (Chrishon Ducker)
- Oct. 23 Break
- Oct. 30 Abortion (Conway Richardson)
- Nov. 6 Abortion (Conway Richardson)
- Nov. 13 Problems of Suffering, Death and Dying (Chrishon Ducker)
- Nov. 20 Civil Disobedience (Conway Richardson)
- Nov. 27 Use of Catechisms (Chrishon Ducker)
- Dec. 4 Children and the Last Supper (Conway Richardson)